Welcome, and please enjoy! Feedback is very much appreciated!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

When I Heard the Learned Astronomer

When I Heard the Learned Astronomer
by Walt Whitman

When I heard the learn'd astronomer,
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me,
When I was shown the charts and diagrams, to add, divide,
and measure them,
When I sitting heard the astronomer where he lectured with
much applause in the lecture-room,
How soon unaccountable I became tired and sick,
Till rising and gliding out I wander'd off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
Look'd up in perfect silence at the stars.



~Badger

3 comments:

Rhea said...

Spotted this one in DCL last night/this morning.

Isabel Vazquez said...

This poem reflects how I'm often left feeling about science... In writing with its complicated explanations and proofs, I can only give it a blank stare and let other people try to understand the specifics. The world can be full of wonder without needing to understand it all. Similarly, the speaker of the poem leaves the classroom where he's learning astronomy to simply look up at the stars.

Lisa Boyce said...

This is such a sweet and peaceful poem. I'm a fan of Walt Whitman.

Also, I like your project idea in general. Combining different academic fields like this is a great way to involve a number of people.