Welcome, and please enjoy! Feedback is very much appreciated!

Monday, May 3, 2010

Here are a couple of new poems that I found. I think the first provides an interesting insight how logic can be applied to the question of "why are we here." It also presents a sad fact: the universe can be at times apathetic. The second is an ode to madame Curie.


A Man Said to the Universe
by Stephen Crane
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
"A sense of obligation."

To Madame Curie
by Alice Moore Dunbar-Nelson
Oft have I thrilled at deeds of high emprise,
And yearned to venture into realms unknown,
Thrice blessed she, I deemed, whom God had shown
How to achieve great deeds in woman's guise.
Yet what discov'ry by expectant eyes
Of foreign shores, could vision half the throne
Full gained by her, whose power fully grown
Exceeds the conquerors of th' uncharted skies?
So would I be this woman whom the world
Avows its benefactor; nobler far,
Than Sybil, Joan, Sappho, or Egypt's queen.
In the alembic forged her shafts and hurled
At pain, diseases, waging a humane war;
Greater than this achievement, none, I ween.
--Ben

3 comments:

:) said...

I really like the first poem, though I agree it presents a rather bleak view. It's interesting to see these two poems together, as one is so extremely concise almost to the point of being barely a poem (at least for me), whereas the second one is full of grandiose vocabulary and interesting allusions...and yet the first one is somehow more hard-hitting in part due to its sparseness.

I'm looking forward to seeing more poems like these. I think I've only seen a couple poems up at school though? Are they being posted in other parts of the community as well?

-alexx e

Wizard said...

I actually didnt mean to have both these poems in close proximity. I posted both at the same time because I had posted them on campus at roughly the same time. You do, however, bring up a really interesting insight. I agree with you: the first, shorter poem is much more captivating.

Uni actually was never really a target audience of the project. The U of I was really where we wanted to be posting things. I posted a few poems over Uni, though never got around to replacing them. If you go on campus, particularly the science buildings, you'll probably see more of our work posted.

Unknown said...

I feel like the first poem should be amazing, but I really don't understand it. Any interpretations?